I'm An Encopresis Survivor


By Dimity Telfer

Hey there. For those that don't know me, my name is Dimity. I'm 27, an Australian, and an Encopresis survivor. Yes that's right. I had Encopresis personally, undiagnosed, until I was 15 years old.

I know what it's like to have no friends, being bullied and being told by my own parents that I'm an embarrassment to be around.

At my worst I wouldn't poop for up to 10 days, and constantly soiled my underwear. If you ever hear your child say that he/she can't feel/smell it, please believe it.

No one believed me, and for me it was the truth. My body wouldn't give me any indication that I "had to go", and couldn't smell anything at all, until it was much too late.

For many years Encopresis always felt like a curse. "If you're sorry, why do you keep doing it?" my mum constantly asked me. My answer was always the same, that I didn't know why and am incredibly sorry.

I always felt alone (especially having no friends to hang out with and no boyfriend that loves me for me).

There's also not a single celebrity that admits to having this condition (no role model to look up to). My confidence, self esteem and social confidence with my fellow peers wasn't very strong.

I created my blog over a year ago to help create awareness and support about this condition, specifically from an angle of being someone personally had it, and I am excited to be a part of P.O.T.T."Y" Generation as a contributing writer and support.

At the time, I was experiencing Encopresis, my parents didn't know what to do or what I had. Being in a remote town (and the Internet wasn't readily available and resourceful now as it was then), no support groups, no books, nothing. That's why I'm writing a book about my experiences, things I've learnt and other people's stories.

I know how much it is to be someone with this condition feeling alone and wondering if someone else has it (and if can get in touch).

I have an e-mail available on my blog that any parent or fellow Encopresis survivor/battler can use to keep in touch with me (especially when embarrassed for the world to know what's happening). I'm doing all I can to help parents and their families of this condition.

There really is light at the end of the tunnel. I know. I have gone through Encopresis and all the negativity that follows in it's stinky path...and survived.

I created the term "Encopresis survivor" to show strength. I want to turn this curse into a blessing. My self esteem and confidence has increased so much over the years and I'm doing things I never thought I would be doing (for example, performing aerials and a trainer at the local circus group). I have dreams to achieve. I have love to share.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. You are never alone anymore. I am here. I'm very happy to contribute here and share my experiences to help others.





Add caption


No comments:

Post a Comment